The Garden Club of Springfield was organized November 23, 1931 with over forty members.
It was federated in 1932 and since has been affiliated with the Garden Club Federation of PA and the National Garden Clubs, Inc. Today approximately forty members carry on its original mission “to stimulate the knowledge and love of home gardening, to aid in the protection of native trees and birds and to encourage sound civic landscape practices.”
With civic pride, Club members have volunteered many hours and made contributions to the community throughout the years. The Club continues to benefit Springfield with a number of current horticulture projects. The most recent project was the re-landscaping around Old Central School. This project was in collaboration with Springfield Township after the renovation of the School. The Garden Club also designed and now maintains the Garden of Hope, a native plant garden in front of the Township Building, the gardens in front of the Library and the gardens at the entrance to Memorial Park. The squares along Saxer Avenue are planted each year with annual flowers. The Garden Club also erected a Blue Star Memorial at Memorial Park. Every Arbor Day a new tree is planted in Springfield.
At Christmas the Club decorates Old Central School and also participates in decorating the Historic Leiper House in Wallingford and the Colonial Plantation in Ridley Creek State Park.
The Club also attempts to do outreach to our public school students in order to foster a love of horticulture in children.
Check back soon for a list of 2021 Programs
For additional information, please call the Membership Chair Sue Simpson