OpenGov is here! The Building and Code Enforcement Departments will now be using OpenGov for Permitting, Licensing, & Code Enforcement to simplify community development, code enforcement, licensing, and inspections. Click here to get started with OpenGov.

Springfield Township

Delaware County

Storm Water Management

Keeping Pool Water from Damaging Streams

As part of regular pool maintenance, residents and pool managers need to be aware of ways to minimize the hazardous impact pool water, which contains chemicals, has on the environment.

  1. Leave water in pool for at least one week, without chlorinating, prior to draining.
  2. Drain pool only when test kit indicates no detectable chlorine levels and a pH level of 6.5 – 7.8.
  3. If your pool contains algae or a black film of organic matter, collect and flush it down the toilet.
  4. Pump pool water slowly out over a grassy area, so it can soak in. Avoid drainage paths that may spill water onto a neighbor’s property.
  5. Never drain pool water directly into a stream, pond, storm drain, or other body of water.
  6. Properly store pool chemicals to prevent leaks or spills. In addition, follow the instruction label for proper disposal.


By following these simple steps, you help ensure that your pool will not only provide months of summer fun, but also reduce the number of pollutants it could add to our precious natural water supplies. Any questions, please call Springfield Township at 610-544-1300.

Water Quality Hotlines for Citizens

New stormwater regulations from Pennsylvania’s DEP require that your municipality investigate more thoroughly potential illicit discharges (pollutants) into our streams. You can help by promptly reporting the following events to the authorities listed in the hotline box below. The township’s website also contains a form for reporting these conditions (put link here). Here are some of the conditions that you should report:

  1. Sediment leaving a construction site in stormwater (your county conservation district)
  2. Observed pollution event or pollutants in stream (DEP)
  3. Clogged or leaking sewer lines ( your sewer authority)
  4. Failing or overflowing sewer effluent from treatment plant (your sewer plant and DEP)
  5. Spills (DEP spills hotline)
  6. Illegal dumping activity into water courses (your municipality, DEP)
  7. Dry weather flows from outfall pipes into streams (72 hours after a rain storm)( your municipality)
  8. Fish Kills (Fish Commission, DEP)
  9. Water main breaks ( Aqua PA or Chester Water Authority).

Photos and exact locations are very helpful! 

Who are you going to call?

Residents may be the first to notice “illicit” discharges flowing into storm sewers or coming out of storm sewer outfall pipes – all of which ends up in our streams.

Springfield Township and Pennsylvania Stormwater Regulations require a thorough investigation of all potentially illegal discharges (pollutants) into our streams.

Some examples are:

  1. Sediment leaving a construction site in stormwater (your county conservation district)
  2. Observed pollution event or pollutants in stream (DEP)
  3. Clogged or leaking sewer lines (your sewer authority)
  4. “Dry Weather Flow”- water flowing from outfall pipes after 72 hours without rain ( Municipality)
  5. Spills, hazardous materials (DEP spills or PEMA hotlines)
  6. Illegal dumping activity into water courses (your municipality, DEP)
  7. Dry weather flows create discharges from outfall pipes into streams after 72 hours or more without rain (your municipality)
  8. Fish Kills ( DEP, Fish Commission)
  9. Water main breaks (Aqua PA or Chester Water Authority).

Water pollution events should not be reported through the DEP website, you can refer to the website for background information on DEP’s emergency response program and procedures from the website ie., select Environmental Complaints, then Southeast Region.

CompanyTelephoneBest Time to Call
DEP 24-Hour Water Quality Hotline484-250-5900Anytime, including evenings and weekends
DEP Water Quality Complaints484-250-5991Weekdays 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Delaware Co. Conservation District810-892-9484When noticing off-site discharge of sediment, erosion, & other improper controls during construction. Send photo, full address, and directions
Chester Co. Conservation District610-925-4920When noticing off-site discharge of sediment, erosion, & other improper controls during construction. Send photo, full address, and directions
Springfield Township610-544-1300When noticing clogged or leaking sanitary sewer lines; sewage smell in creek; illegal discharges into creeks or storm drains (After hours, call 911). Call the township if you notice dry weather outfall flows.
PA Fish and Boat Commission717-626-0228Available 24 hours
Chester Water Authority610-876-8181If you notice broken water mains. Available 24 hours.
Aqua Pennsylvania610-525-1402If you notice broken water mains. Available 24 hours.

Report violations or problems to the authorities listed below:

Complaint FormsAction
Citizen Complaint FormDownload
Drainage Complaint FormDownload

Sanitary Sewer Backup

In the event of a sanitary sewer backup at your property, please call the Township Office first. The administration office hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Monday through Friday. After those hours, call 911 and a township highway crew will be dispatched to check the line. Although the Township conscientiously maintains its sewer system, periodic backups into homes or businesses inevitably occur. In most cases, the Township’s responsibility ends when the line is cleared and the problem causing the blockage as been addressed. Responsibility for cleanup and damage to the premises rests with the resident. The Township will not reimburse a property owner for plumbing fees. Most homeowners insurance policies have optional riders for sewer backups that, if purchased will provide coverage.

Citizen Awareness Needed to Report Water Pollution

Citizens are encouraged to be on the lookout for illicit (illegal) discharges to our creeks and encouraged to call 911 or the Hotline numbers to report them. Remember all of our storm drains lead to creeks, and there should be only rain going into these drain. Over the past four months, residents in your watersheds have reported the follow-up illicit discharges and practices which can foul our creeks and drinking water: leaking sanitary sewer manhole covers (especially during dry weather), soapy or power washing water entering storm drains, strong sewage odors, odors of gasoline, swimming pool discharges into streets, broken water mains, drainage of sump pumps directly into creeks, dumping of trash and yard waste near creeks, running hoses into creeks or storm drains, and fish kills, by calling these numbers. Please save them for future reference.

Your efforts are key to protecting clean water!

Pet Waste & The Environment

Let’s “Pick it Up” for Safer Recreation and Cleaner Water

Pet waste is a source of many harmful microorganisms that can be transmitted from the waste to humans if it is not promptly picked up and disposed of. This list includes E. coli, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Salmonella, Campylobacter, Brucellosis, and roundworm parasites.

Many of these microorganisms will last months in the soil, and some up to four years, if not immediately cleaned up from lawns, along trails, in parks or preserves. Children and landscape workers who care for our lawns, gardens, and public areas are most at risk.

Studies have shown that dog waste is also a significant source of bacterial and nutrient contamination to streams, especially during the “first flush” from a rain storm which carries the majority of the pollution washing off of lawns and hard surfaces.

To protect your family and to be considerate of your fellow residents and other trail users, please remember to “scoop the poop” with a plastic bag and dispose of it promptly in a public trash can or your own trash receptacle (not your neighbor’s trash can or down storm drains, please!), and wash your hands. Composting or burying your pet’s waste does not destroy harmful organisms.

Please don’t go barefoot or wear open shoes in dog parks or other areas where dogs frequently deposit waste, and it is not advisable for young children to play in these areas.

Sources: Chester Ridley Crum Watersheds Association; Companion Animal Parasite Council; Snohomish County Public Works Department, Washington State.

Additional Resources:

Creating A Native Meadow

Naturalizing Your Yard

How Does A Septic System Work?

Caring For Your Wetlands

Department of Environmental Protection
Links and Fact Sheets
Car WashingDownload
When It Rains It DrainsDownload
Fertilizing Your LawnDownload
Best Management PracticesDownload
Related InformationAction
Greenway Plan for the Darby Creek WatershedDownload
Crum Creek Watershed ACT 167Download
Chester-Ridley-Crum Watersheds Assoc.Visit